Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Gentleman's Shirtmaker


My better half recently took me shopping for a birthday present at IFC here in HK. Hang on...should it be, in proper form, THE IFC or just plain IFC...anyways, I digress in my second sentence.

For those that know me, shopping with me is typically faster than the car in the post below...I see it, I like it, I buy it. I sometimes don't even try things on (Lanvin ;)). So it was especially surprising to me that when my better half took me shopping a few weeks ago, I couldn't find a single thing to buy.

As we were leaving Lane Crawford for like the fifth time with no purchase in hand, we passed by Ascot Chang, a well-known shirtmaker in these parts of the world. I have always been curious as to why they are so well-known and liked, so I set my heart on a few shirts, my better half took out her credit card, and boom...Andrew gets his bday present!

Some findings:

  • They had a gigantic wall full of fabric swatches for shirts...the biggest selection I have ever seen.
  • The minium price for a shirt was around $130 USD , 4 times an average HK tailor. You must order three shirts on your first buy.
  • They required two fittings. My suits only require one fitting. This, of course, is to ensure the perfect fit
  • Their fabrics are way better quality than some of the tailors I have been to. There is this subtle sheen to my shirts that just looks money. haha
  • The shirts came out fantastic in fit and quality. I am a satisfied customer.

No comments: